Friday, October 22, 2010

Get Out of Jail Free!

Today I am freeing myself! Today I am alive by CHOICE!

I am starting a new project today with the local Character Counts organization. We are bringing character based  life skills training to the newly paroled.Talk about new beginnings. I am humbled by the opportunity to help others begin anew.

What a powerful opportunity to see and experience the place of choice. Many of us will never know what it is like to be behind bars. Many of us have. The walls of a the psyche ward were for me as powerful as bars. Last year I spent time on a psyche ward, after I spoke about wanting to kill myself.  I remember the first evening when friends came to visit and I was not allowed to leave. In this moment, I can feel the shame, the fear, the despair. I can choose to keep my self in those feelings OR NOT!

Today I get to help others see there IS a way to start fresh. It is by choosing to do things differently. It is about just taking the next right step. We all face situations that are hard, overwhelming and often paralyzing. Well today I am choosing to step forward, inch by inch. Step into something new, something that I am called to do and something I know will make a difference in this world.

I am no different than anyone else. We all have our fears. We are all able to choose. Today I choose Hope, Today I choose Self respect. Today I choose LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment